News » Religion

New Survey: More LGBT Americans Have No Religious Affiliation

by Jason St. Amand
National News Editor
Monday Jun 17, 2013

A new survey found that LGBT people are more likely to be unaffiliated with a religious organization than straight people, Gay Star News points out.

Data from the Pew Research Center found that 48 percent of all LGBT adults surveyed said they are atheists, while 20 percent of the general public said they're atheists. Additionally, those who said they were religious attended services less often and didn't think faith was important compared to others. A third of religiously affiliated LGBT adults said there is a conflict between their faith and their sexual orientation or gender identity.

"When I was younger, I grew up in an extremely conservative [omitted] religion. I had suicidal thoughts ever since I can remember until I left the religion and accepted who I am. Coming out to my family was very difficult because of their religion. Fortunately, my family loves me still," a 34-year-old gay man is quoted saying in the report.

"When I was 18 I couldn't handle it and attempted suicide. I became religious, thinking God would make me straight. I gave that up at 26 when I finally realized it wasn't God who had a problem with me but his followers," a 64-year-old gay man said.

It should be noted 42 percent of LGBT people said they are Christian, compared to 73 percent of the general public. The research surveyed 1,2000 people who identified as LGBT adults in California.

George Broadhead, the secretary and trustee of UK-based gay humanist charity, the Pink Triangle Trust, claims atheists in the US are more discriminated against than LGBT people, however.

"I can't understand why anybody in their right minds if they're gay or lesbian would want to embrace any religion like Catholicism which is so hostile. It's masochistic," Broadhead told Gay Star News


  • , 2013-06-18 11:23:40

    For LGBT people, if you are raised in a conservative or Fundamentalist religion, your only option is to continue supporting an organization which teaches you to hate yourself or to leave. I was raised Roman Catholic and was sent to Catholic schools for 12 years. I took me many, many years to reconcile my sexuality and gender variance with my Spirituality. It forced me to really examine what I’d been taught from an academic perspective. Once I could see how religious attitudes on sexuality and gender were based on cultural attitudes 2,000-4,000 years ago and with the limited scientific knowledge the Biblical writers had, it was clear to me that I was exactly the person God created me to be with or without the Church’s stamp of approval.

  • PaulinAZ, 2013-06-18 14:44:27

    I was brought up Catholic also. I was actually the model Catholic when I was young - until I realized I was gay. I even married (a woman) trying to deny who I was, which ultimately ended in an amicable divorce. (When she and I realized that I was gay, she actually brought home a list of gay support groups.) Anyway, the point is that I no longer believe in "God" (at least in the Judeo-Christian sense) although I still believe in spirituality. I am now happily in a Civil Union with my husband of 18 years and definitely do NOT miss the Catholic Church, or any church for that matter.

  • GAG'EM, 2013-06-19 22:55:53

    So 48% of LGBT people are smarter than the general population. Now we have to work on educating the remaining 52% who still have allegiance to institutions that teach them to hate themselves.

Add New Comment

Comments on Facebook